Indian Electricity Rules
24 points of Indian Electrical Rules that every electrician and Electrical engineers should have knowledge about these rules. In INDIA Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is the authority for standards and standardisation. Some rules for electrical fittings and wiring are given by BIS.
Under IS 73-1963 IS-4648 and NE code (National Electrical Code) are given as:-
- Electrical Wiring and its repairing should be done by licensed electrician.
- ISI marked instrument should be used by electricians
- Subcircuits should be placed in wiring and two distinct subcircuits should be made, one for light and fans and other for high power applications.
- Lights and fans can be wired on a common subcircuit and should not have a total of more than 10 points of fans and lights and a 5A socket outlet. The load on this subcircuit should not exceed 800W.
- Subcircuit used for power applications should not have more than two outlets and the load on this subcircuit must not exceed 3000W.
- Separate subcircuit should be utilized for external lightning of steps, walkways, carpet, terrace etc.
- The lights of bathroom should be fitted in ceiling and switches of light should be outside the bathroom. If inside switch is required then waterproof switches should be used.
- All electric points fixed outside the house should be waterproof.
- Energy meters shall be Install at a place where it is readily accessible to both the owner of the building and to the authorized person of the supply authority. It should be installed above a height of 1m provided with protective covering.
- All home appliances and other plug-in devices should be earthen using a 3-pin socket outlet.
- Fuse should be installed to interrupt any short circuit current.
- Cables connected to the ring line should be insulated and of red, yellow or blue in colour and the neutral wire should be of black colour.
- Switches should never be connected with neutral line.
- Switches should be adjacent to the entrance of any area. switches should not be obstructed by doors or by window and should be installed at a height of 1.3m staircase.
- Two way switches is recommended for halls and staircase.
- The distance between the fan’s blades and the floor should be minimum of 2.4m and maximum of 3m.
- All metallic covering used in wiring should be earthen.
- The fitting of the light should be minimum of 2.25m above the floor.
- No fuse should be connected to the earth wire, it should only be connected in the live wire.
- Medium(650V) and High(11000V) voltage machines, transformers should be double earthen.
- Heavy machines should be properly marked with safety sign.
- Before starting wire fitting, proper layout should be prepared.
- According to IE 85, the distance between two poles of overhead lines should be not more than 67m.
- Before supplying power to any new electric wire fitting, current leakage should be checked by an instrument known as Meggar. The current leakage should not be greater than 1/5000 part of total supply voltage.
Buy this amazing product-Buy now
You will also like to learn-How to check motor with multimeter