How we can check motor is safe or burnt
Three phase supply is given to the three phase induction motor by three wires known as L1, L2, L3 in the motor terminals. Sometimes the motor fails to run or start after particular time due to various reasons. Three phase induction motor requires to test the motors with Multimeter during installing and maintenance that is safe or burnt.
In these situation what should we do?
How we can check the motor that it is safe or burnt. To follow these steps you can check the motor is safe or burnt:-
- Examine the motor from outside for broken bolts, pulley or cooling fans etc.
- Check the bearings by moving the shaft that it is run smoothly or it is jammed.
- Analyze the incoming voltage on the terminal that it is equal or phase voltage. Sometimes motor fails to start due to source voltages.
- Check for tripped circuit breaker and over load relay .
- Check the windings of the motor with multimeter
- Check the continuity of motor body and earth:-
Set the Multimeter knob on the continuity mode and place the one end on the body and one end on the earth. Check the reading it should not more than 0.5ohms.
- Check the motor winding continuity :-
Set the multimeter knob on the continuity and check the phase continuity of L1 to L2, L2 to L3, L3 to L1. If there is difference in the each of the phase. Motor winding must be weak or burnt. Also check all three phase one by one with motor body.
- Check the resistance of the winding:-
Set the knob of the multimeter on the ohms and check the winding resistance as L1 to L2, L2 to L3, L3 to L1. It has to be equal resistance in each windings. If there is difference in the resistance of the winding the motor has blown.
you will also like to learn our these articles