Difference between single phase and three phase power supply
There are the points that define the Difference between single phase and three phase power supply
Before we start studying about Difference between single phase and three phase we should know about the AC (Alternating Current) power system.
Alternating current- in simple words we can say that Alternating current is the current that runs in sine waveform. An alternating current continuously changes its magnitude and direction.
alternating current is the current which varies sinusoidally w.r.t time. this current is used in the household to run the air-conditioner, refrigerators,washing machine etc.
- The main difference between single phase and three phase is that single phase consist of two wires to complete the circuit that is one phase wire and a neutral wire and three phase consist of four wire three phase and one neutral.
- Single phase supply system consist of 230v whereas three phase supply system consist of 415v.
- The power failure occur in single phase system occurred maximum whereas the power failure is not occurred.
- The single phase system is used in domestic sector for operation of lightning loads and single phase appliances.
- The efficiency of single phase is minimum as compared to three phase.
- Using of three phase system reduces the size of the machines as compared to single phase system e.g- observe the size of the 1.5HP motor of single phase and observe the size of the 1.5HP three phase motor. You will find that 1.5HP motor of three phase size is small as compared to the single phase motor.
- The single phase system is best till 1000 watt loads.
- There is less losses in three phase system as compared to single phase system.
- Three phase system is cheaper in power transferring as compared to the single phase system.